Ask Pathfinder about a turn-key Cobra or Grand Sport Mexican Panamericana race car !
Chassis No.: TBP
Stock Car racer restored by Holman & Moody and Pathfinder Motorsports
This is a 1963 'Z' Code Galaxie 500 stock car currently at Holman & Moody. It has an original factory 390 FE big block 4-speed car with 9" rear end running high-speed 2.88 gears. The motor has a date coded 1963 390 "service replacement" block with 406 solid lifter tri-power heads and the 406 cast iron headers. This special race car was purpose-built to be a clone of the #28 Holman Moody "Dan Gurney" 63 1/2 Galaxie 500 in the paint scheme raced in 1963 at Riverside.
Dan Gurney won the 1963 Motor Trend 500 in January of 1963, behind the wheel of the original #28 427 Ford Galaxie. The Motor Trend 500 was held at Riverside International Raceway from 1963 through 1971 and attracted all the hot shot drivers of the day. During those nine years. Dan Gurney won it an amazing five times. He was so dominating, winning four times in a row from 1963 through 1966 (and 1968,) they nicknamed the race “The Gurney 500.” The Galaxie #28 was built by Holman & Moody and sponsored by LaFayette Ford.
Recent work includes a new water pump, 12V alternator, regulator converted, custom 3-core aluminum radiator with factory FE reservoir tank, Edlebrock 4V aluminum intake with a Holley 650 single feed carburetor, original style Petronics point distributor, custom built fully functional Bat Wing cowl induction air cleaner assembly, a new battery, and a master kill switch on dash board.
Also recently installed is a dual exhaust with exhaust exiting before the rear wheels, 2/12 pipe with Magna flow glass packs going into 3 1/2" outlet pipes, factory manual steering, and brakes like the original race car. The Top-Loader transmission was rebuilt using an OEM 1964 427 flywheel, Mcleod Clutch, and new throw-out bearing. It features a new fuel tank and sending unit, KYB gas shocks on all four corners, and has a 12-point JEGS Roll bar assembled to emulate the original 1963 race car cage. Although not race certified, it is fully welded and has the floor pans pads.
Other features include roll bar-mounted period-style panoramic rear view mirror, original steering wheel wrapped in electrical tape like the original Gurney Galaxie race car with proper center pad, full Autometer classic gauges to include tach, speedo, oil, water, amp, gas, turn signals, custom made steel dash gauge cluster, new headlight switch and headlamps, new high beam, full functioning lights, turn signals, hidden horn, brake lights, original radio/heater/clock delete plates, OEM wiring, and all connectors are under the dash and labeled.
This race car has the correct factory E-brake set up, the wiper motor and switch work but are not not hooked up, and the 5-point race harness has welded tabs. Door panel and rear seat panels are all pop riveted panels that can be removed and original panels installed. All window roll down fine and are Carlite glass, new brakes all around, and dual master cylinder conversion.
All graphics are hand painted to replicate the original car as close as possible. Rear window slats, front window tabs just like the race car. This Galaxie runs and drives great and is guaranteed to turns heads. It is also street legal and eligible for the Historic Rally series in Europe.
Additional modifications by Holman Moody include Holman Moody valve covers, period correct Grand National Ford FE big block tower oil cooler with braided lines, and correct hood pins. Pictures of this car were sent to Mr. Dan Gurney and in return received a very nice signed reply acknowledging the build and that he appreciated the effort to replicate his old Riverside race car.
1963-1/2 Galaxie 500 'Dan Gurney' Riverside 500 Stock Car Recreation
• Purpose built recreation of the #28 Holman Moody "Dan Gurney" 63 1/2 Galaxie 500 in the paint scheme raced in 1963 at Riverside
• This 1963-1/2 Galaxie Z' code 500 with an original 390 FE big block 4 speed car with 9" rear end running high speed 2.88 gears
• The motor is date coded 1963 390 Service Replacement block date coded 1963 with 406 solid lifter tri-power heads with 406 cast iron headers
• Recent water pump, 12V alternator, and regulator converted
• Custom 3-core aluminum radiator with factory FE reservoir tank
• Edlebrock 4V aluminum intake with a Holley 650 single feed carburetor
• Original-style Petronics point distributor
• Custom built fully functional Bat Wing cowl induction air cleaner assembly
• New battery with master kill switch on dash board
• Dual exhaust with exhaust exiting before the rear wheels – 2/12 pipe with Magna flow glass packs going into 3 1/2" outlet pipes
• Factory manual steering and brakes per the original race car
• Top-Loader transmission was rebuilt using an OEM 1964 427 flywheel, Mcleod Clutch and new throw-out bearing
• New fuel tank and sending unit
• KYB gas shocks all 4 corners
• 12 point JEGS roll bar assembled per the original '63 race car cage; although not race certified, it is fully welded with floor pan pads
• Roll bar mounted period style panoramic rear view mirror
• Original steering wheel wrapped in electrical tape per the original Gurney Galaxie race car with proper center pad
• Full Autometer classic gauges including tach, speedo, oil, water, amp, gas, turn signals with custom made steel gauge cluster
• New headlight switch, headlamps, and high beam
• Full functioning lights, turn signals, hidden horn, brake lights
• Master kill switch
• Original radio/heater/clock delete plates
• OEM wiring and all connectors are under the dash and labeled
• Correct factory E-brake set up
• The wiper motor and switch fully operable but not not hooked up
• 5-point race harness with welded tabs, door panel, and rear seat panels
• All pop riveted panels can be removed and original panels installed
• All window roll down fine and are Carlite Glass
• New brakes all around
• Dual master cylinder conversion
• Brand new 15x8 vintage Ford Grand National wheels color matched to interior color as raced
• 265-75-15 Tires with shaved blackwalls and Firestone stencil painted to per original race tires
– This is not a show car but a vintage race car with the proper patina (not concourse)
– Three coats of 2k gray primer, two coats of sealer primer, and three coats of Wimbledon white
– Bumpers and trim are driver condition (paint more then 10 years old-race quality)
• The car has the three hood pins and two trunk pins like the race car
• Hand painted graphics to replicate the original car
• Rear window slats and front window tabs per the original race car
• Runs and drives great – guaranteed to turn heads
• Street legal and eligible for the Historic Rally series in Europe
• Sale includes correspondence from Dan Gurney who recognized and appreciated this tribute to his old Riverside race car
• Modified by Holman Moody to include
– H&M valve covers
– Period correct Grand National Ford FE big block tower oil cooler with braided lines
– Correct hood pins
• Currently located at Holman & Moody in Charlotte NC
Price: POR *
*Price and specifications subject to change without notice. Call or email for more details.
A rare opportunity to own a ready-to-race H&M racecar
Whether at the race, street, or show, this car is always the most popular
PLEASE NOTE: While every reasonable effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the vehicle data, we are not responsible for any errors or omissions contained on these pages. Please verify information, pricing, and availability with a team member. All advertised prices exclude applicable government fees and taxes.. Subject to prior sale.
Call us for more information: +1 321.544.2320
Copyright © 2020-2021 Pathfinder Motorsports LLC - All Rights Reserved.